STAGES Performing Arts School
#301 – 1551 Cedar Hill X Road Victoria, BC 250–384-3267
Classes Offered in 2019 - 2020
In STAGES’ 40th year of operation we look forward to continuing our tradition of providing dancers of all ages and levels of experience with a non-competitive atmosphere in which to learn about the performing arts and about themselves
Classes Offered in 2019 - 2020
4 yrs. – adult
5 yrs. & up
4 yrs. – adult
6 yrs. & up
12 yrs. & up
5 yrs. & up
4 yrs. & up
15 yrs. & up
Please note that the following are guidelines only, (based on the general ages and ability levels of students in the classes from our last season).
We have structured these specifically for those students who are new to the studio in order for them to have a good idea what the levels of our classes are and what might work for them. Proper placement will be determined through their first month of classes.
Students move up in levels ONLY on the teacher’s instructions. It usually takes at least two years before all of the necessary skills, physical maturity and strength have been acquired to allow the student to move up a level.
The placement of students in class levels should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER be considered a “Pass or Fail” situation.
GENERAL RULES OF CONDUCT
- Common courtesy and politeness to everyone is expected.
- Tidiness and neat appearance for all classes is a must.
- Proper attire for all classes is a necessity.
- No chewing gum in the school.
- No loose or oversize shirts in any classes.
- No jewelry in any classes.
- Food is not to be consumed in the dressing room or in the studios.
- Dance shoes are not to be worn outside.
- Cell phones are to be silenced and not answered inside the studio.
*** PLEASE NOTE: STAGES reserves the right to refuse service.
Please note: Classes do not take place on statutory holidays
- Thanksgiving Day: Oct. 8, 2018
- Remembrance Day: Nov. 11, 2018
- Family Day: Feb. 10, 2020
- Easter Weekend: April 10-April 13, 2020
- Victoria Day: May 28, 2020
NOTE THAT CLASSES DO NOT TAKE PLACE THROUGH THE SECOND WEEK OF SPRING BREAK
Monday March 23, 2020 to March 29, 2020
- For our preteen classes we try not to have more than 15 students enrolled in a class without providing an assistant to the class in order to ensure that there is a high level of individual attention.
- For our older classes we try not to have more than 20 students enrolled without providing an assistant.
- Please understand that from week to week we cannot predict how many drop-in students we will have in a class, but we will certainly keep an eye on any trends and act upon them accordingly.
CLASS CALENDAR & SCHEDULE
- Our season runs from September 5 to December 16 and from January 8 to June 16. Regardless of how many (or few) classes take place in a given month, each class has the same number of sessions. The monthly fees have been standardized in order to avoid having different fees every month for each class.
- We do try to change the class schedule as little as possible. Through September and early October there are always a few changes due to classes that are conflicting for a large number of students, bus schedule conflicts, classes with limited enrollment, and classes that need to be divided.
- If any of these changes do not work for you please talk to us, but please understand that we do have to consider what is going to work for the largest number of students.
Jazz is a high-energy dance form that incorporates elements of ballet, hip-hop, acrobatics, modern and partner work. The classes are broken down to include a warm-up, cross-floor work and technique, ending with choreography set to contemporary music.
Jazz 1 & 2: 4 to 6 yrs old, no experience necessary.
Jazz 3: 6 to 8 yrs old, no experience necessary.
Jazz 4: 8 to 10 yrs old, one year experience in Jazz or Ballet recommended.
Jazz 5*: 10 to 12 yrs old, two years experience in Jazz or Ballet recommended.
Jazz 6*: 12 to 14 years old, five years experience in Jazz or Ballet recommended.
Jazz 7*: 14 t0 16 years old years experience in Jazz or Ballet recommended.
Jazz 8*: Advanced Jazz Class, Strong background in Jazz & Ballet is required.
Adult Jazz: Adults, Little some or no experience in Jazz.
*Jazz 5 through 8 must be taken twice per week and it is strongly advised that students take Ballet Class(es) in conjunction with these classes.
Clothing for Jazz: Fitted Dance wear, Flexible Runners (Jazz 1-3 only) or Jazz Shoes
NO Street Shoes
Hair must be tied back.
Hip Hop is a high-energy dance form that draws from the contemporary and popular form of jazz dance, funk and street. The classes are broken down to include a warm-up, cross-floor work and technique, ending with choreography set to contemporary music.
- Hip Hop 1 & 2: 5 to 7 years old, no experience necessary.
- Hip Hop 3: 7 to 10 years old, minimum of two years experience in dance.
- Hip Hop 4: 10 -13 years old & up, minimum of three years experience in dance.
- Hip Hop 5: 14 years old & up, minimum of three years experience in dance.
Clothing For Hip Hop: Fitted Dancewear, Jazz Shoes or Flexible Runners: No Street Shoes. Hair must be tied back, No Jewelry.
Please Note that these classes are very popular and fill up quickly. Attendance will be capped, including Drop-Ins, to a maximum of twenty-four students with spaces confirmed for those fully registered.
Ballet has always been the foundation for most other forms of dance. Ballet gives the student an understanding of placement, posture and a sense of line and musicality. Ballet classes are based on the Royal Academy of Dancing. Ballet One is designed for those students who are starting later with their ballet training or those who want a basic understanding of ballet.
Primary Ballet: 4 to 6 yrs old, little or no experience.
Grade 1 Ballet: 6 to 9 yrs old, one or two years experience.
Grade 2 Ballet: 8 to 10 yrs old, completion of previous grade or equivalent.
Grade 3 & 4 Ballet*: 9 to 11 yrs old, completion of previous grade or equivalent.
Grade 5 Ballet*: 10 to 12 yrs old, completion of previous grade or equivalent.
Grade 6 Ballet *: 12 yrs old & up, completion of previous grade or equivalent.
Advanced Foundation Ballet* & Advance 1*: Senior level class, completion of Grade 6 or equivalant.
Ballet One: 12 yrs old and up. Little or no experience in Ballet.
Pre-Pointe: 9 to 13 yrs old, For students working at a Grade 2 or 3 level.
Pointe*: 11 to 13 yrs old and up with the completion of Grade 3 (see note about Pointe and
Pointe Shoes below).
Adult Ballet: Adults. Little, some, or no experience in Ballet.
Wear what you are comfortable in. Ignore the clothing requirements below.
* Grade 3 & 4 Ballet through Advanced Foundation Ballet & Advance 1, must be taken twice per week.
Clothing for Ballet
Pre-Primary through Grade 3 Ballet:
- Bodysuit: Solid coloured leotard (Motion Wear Style 2100 in Iris)
- Tights: Pink ballet tights or white ankle socks.
- Shoes: Soft pink leather or canvas ballet slippers.
- Hair: Must be secured back in a bun and a hairnet.
Grade 4 through Advanced Foundation:
- Bodysuit: Solid coloured leotard (Motion Wear Style 2463 in Cobalt).
- Tights: Ballet pink Capezio style #1815 or #1816.
- Shoes: Properly fitted pink full-sole, leather ballet slippers.
- Hair: Must be secured back in a bun and a hairnet.
- Shirt: White fitted T-shirt.
- Legs: Primary Ballet through Grade 2: Black shorts with white socks
- Legs: Grade 3 Ballet+: Black footed tights or black footless leggins with white socks
- Shoes: Black or white leather ballet or canvas slippers; split-sole
- Dancebelt required beginning at age 11 or 12.
- For both Females & Males:
- Warm-Up Wear: Wrap sweaters permitted at beginning of class.
- No baggy pants or sweatpants.
REGARDING POINTE AND POINTE SHOES
Please if you have not been on pointe as of yet DO NOT go out and get a pair of pointe shoes (or convince one or more of your parents that “you must get some”).
The instructor will determine when a student is ready for pointe and help the student (and parents) with the fitting and choice of shoes. There are a number of factors that help determine whether or not a student is ready to be on pointe. These factors include strength, technique, experience and physical development.
Students may choose whichever brand of pointe shoes fit them the best.
Any width of elastic is allowed, but ribbons need to match tights.
This class will be focused on basic acrobatic movements and geared to improving flexibility and versatility.
- Acrobatics 1: 5 to 7 yrs old, minimum one year dance experience
- Acrobatics 2: 8 to 10 yrs old, minimum one year dance experience
- Acrobatics 3: 11 to 13 yrs old, minimum three years dance experience
- Acrobatics 4: 13 yrs old & up, minimum of four years of dance experience
Clothing for Acrobatics: Fitted Dance wear, Bare Feet, Jazz shoes or Flexible Runners, No Street Shoes. Hair must be tied back. No jewelry.
Lyrical is a jazz and ballet based dance form that expresses emotions that are directly inspired by the words and melody of a piece of music.
- Lyrical 1: 6-9 years old & up, minimum one year dance experience.
- Lyrical 2: 9– 12 years old & up, minimum two years dance experience.
- Lyrical 3: 13 years old & up, minimum three years dance experience.
Clothing for Lyrical – Fitted Dancewear, Bare Feet, Jazz Shoes or Flexible Runners
No Street Shoes. Hair must be tied back, No Jewelry.
Musical Theatre combines the elements of song and dance. Students receive a proper vocal and physical warm-up, and then work on songs from both popular musicals and well-known hits, which are both challenging and fun.
Musical Theatre 1: 5 to 8 years old, no experience necessary.
Musical Theatre 2: 9 to 11 years old, one or two years dance experience.
Musical Theatre 3: 12 years old & up, one or two years of dance experience
Clothing For Musical Theatre:
- Fitted Dancewear, Jazz Shoes or Flexible Runners:
- No Street Shoes. Hair must be tied back, No Jewelry.
Tap combines the rhythms of footwork with the elements of other forms of dance. From the days of Gene Kelly to its present day revitalization through Sabian Glover and Riverdance, Tap has been with us for almost a century and focuses on the rhythms of the feet.
- Tap 1 & 2: 4 to 6 years old, little or no experience.
- Tap 3: 6 to 10 years old, completion of one year of tap
- Tap 4: 11 years old & up, completion of three years of Tap.
- Tap 5: 12 years old & up, completion of four years of Tap.
- Adult Tap 1: Adults. Little, some, or no experience in Tap.
- Adult Tap 2: Adults. At least two years experience in Tap.
Clothing For Tap:
- Fitted Dancewear – NO LOOSE SHIRTS
- Shoes: Tap 1-3 Black Lace-Up Tap Shoes (no “single screw”, whatever style fits best)
- Shoes: Tap 4 & 5: As they grow out of their old shoes, we would like to see them in Jason Samuel or Capezio K543 – these are a heavier shoe.
- Adult Tap: Tap Shoes, Clothes
- Hair must be tied back, No Jewelry.
Contemporary dance focuses on improvisation, the deconstruction of movement, musicality, and the development of personal style while communicating through movement. This class will explore the synergistic potentials through combining these two dance styles.
Contemporary: 15 years old & up, strong background in Jazz & Ballet is required.
Clothing for Contemporary: Fitted Dancewear, Bare Feet. Hair must be tied back, No Jewelry.
NORMAL OFFICE HOURS (through the school year)
- Tuesday – Thursday 9:30 am – 2:00 pm
- Monday – Friday 3:30 pm – 9:00 pm
- Saturday 9:00 am – 2:30 pm
- See Important Dates for summer hours
Email us: stagesdance @ shaw.ca remove the spaces
#301 – 1551 Cedar Hill X Road (Behind the Shelbourne MacDonald’s)
Victoria, BC V8P 2P3
Phone: (250) 384- 3267 Fax: (250) 384-6888